Thursday, September 30, 2010

When a rescue feels like a fail

Ursa, the oldest of our dogs.
My son and I rescued a young dog today. We found her due to the barking of our two white shepherd mixes. I suspected a cat taunted them from my neighbor's yard. Instead, I found a brown flop-eared mutt staring out from under my neighbor's house. Knowing that the neighbor is ill and not currently home, I brought the dog some water and food.

That's when I discovered that the poor dog had three things around its neck--all of them too tight. Although I tend to have magic with dogs, what lured the pup from her safe haven was the voice of my son. She wiggled with delight at each sound he made. He fed her as I took hold of the worn jump rope some uncaring person had tied around its neck. She followed us to our yard. She pranced.

I held back tears.

I know that inviting another dog into this house is a bad idea. A change is coming, and I may be responsible for way more than the six mammals that need my caring. Yet, oh, how this dog, small as she was, would have love the three children.

Instead of keeping her, I removed the collars and loaded her with my son into the van. Bringing her to the SPCA, where we adopted our youngest dog, caused my heart to ache. Yes, they will help the sores on her neck and back to heal, but if she's not adopted . . .

Maybe we saved her from starvation and cruel treatment by whoever had her before. Why do I still feel like crying?

4 comments:

Kim said...

I've been in that very position, Sarabeth. You absolutely did save her from pain, hunger and who knows what else. If she is not adopted, she will be humanely euthanized which, to me, is a much better option than a life on the streets.

Liz Self said...

Oh, that is a hard one. I can understand the angst you feel. Hope you get some peace about it with time.

You do have me wondering, though, about the "change coming".

Cindy said...

I'm wondering about the "change coming" remark as well. I'm pretty sure it isn't menopause...

Sarabeth said...

I can't broadcast the possible change, except to say that I'm not pregnant nor are we adopting.