Monday, August 30, 2010

Was ist das, Kinder?

My youngest entered a garden of children last week. Seriously.
It was created by the German born Friedrich Froebel (1782-1852), famous Educationalist. Kindergarten in Froebel’s vision meant both ‘a garden for children’, where children meet with environment and also ‘a garden of children’, where they play together and express themselves in a smaller garden world by means of play with their age group. He believed that "children are like tiny flowers; they are varied and need care, but each is beautiful alone and glorious when seen in the community of peers." (From German Culture)
See? I wasn't kidding.


There's one tiny problem. 


He's not overjoyed to walk in the classroom each day. He hasn't the connection with any of the children. None of them attended his preschool. If a young child can have a best friend, my son's attends a private school just a few blocks away, but that doesn't help him leave me in the morning.


I'll give you a snippet of our conversation this morning.


"Can you just sign me out of Kindergarten?"


"No. I can't. Give it some more time. It's only been a week."


"But, I don't like what I am learning in class."


"What are you learning that you don't like?" (An aside, I once made this complaint at his age to my parents regarding Sunday school. I never had to return. The lesson had to have been horrible.)


"We're learning to be kind, and I don't want to be kind to [Middle Sister]."


I had no good retort to that, although I should have been witty enough to say something. I grunted. Please give me a slight break in the repartee since I had been awake for an hour more than anyone in the house making lunches. No, I will not make them the night before. The food gets soggy and blech. Not going to do it. Wouldn't be kind to the adorable child who wants me to sign him out of Kindergarten. 


And, no, I will not sign him out of Kindergarten. If I did that, my mother would have to come live with me to be his homeschool teacher, and that is another can of worms. 


Let's not go there.

No comments: