Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I don't want your silver lining

Really, BP? A "Blogs from the Gulf" section on your website? Who reads this stuff before you allow it to be published? Did anyone notice that the "reporter" (uh, hired by you to say fluffy, happy things) never says anything about the ugly mass of crude fouling the fragile vegetation that makes up those pretty wetlands or of the oil they are meant to find that has escaped from their notice. (Hint: The oil is in the northern Gulf of Mexico on the shores of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida.) 

I'm filled with the wonderment of what's happening below our chopper only moments after it lifts off from an airport in Houma, La.



You think we should be inspired? Please excuse us residents of the Gulf of Mexico who are watching our world go from paradise to hell. We're angry, sad, and bitter. I thank those that do real cleanup, but there are far too few. Don't try to inspire me with feel good blog posts, even if you put in sort of negative comments you hear. Pay those PR people to put on a hazmat suit and clean. That will be my inspiration--a clean Gulf with turtles, fish, shrimp, oysters, dolphins, rays, sharks, sargasso, and the many other species that call it home. Move me with turquoise waters and white sand untainted by the blobs of oil. 


I'm not the only one who feels this way. From the Times-Picayune as posted on NOLA.com:
Blue said some of the 20 blog posts, which began May 10, use florid prose that clashes with the gravity of what has become the worst environmental disaster in U.S. history.
I get seeing the beauty in something ugly (watch the scene in Patriot Games where the residents of a terrorist training camp are assassinated), but for godsakes, don't write about it for a company while the rest of us cry at the photos posted by non-BP reporters.


I want hard data. Tell me that today you collected X gallons, that Y number of birds were rescued, that Z teams were active in cleaning the marshes. That informs me more than flowery prose. In other words, shut up and clean.

1 comment:

sj said...

yep. that's all i got bc you said it so well. yep.