Monday, April 20, 2009

Review: DreamBox Learning

Over the past few months, my daughters have had the chance to play DreamBox Learning, an interactive math web-based game. The very quick, in a nutshell, review is that this is thumbs up. Go now if you care about your children mastering math concepts. Go even quicker if you have daugthers, since by the age of 12, girls begin to believe that math isn't interesting. Address that early. Keep those doors to math and science careers open.

You can read how it works on the website. What impressed me was the testing of the kids' mouse skills in the beginning. That's incredibly important so that the tasks required aren't physically difficult. My five-year-old can out think her seven-year-old sister in some areas, but lacks the fine motor skills of her older sibling.

By playing an adventure, my girls willingly perform addition, subtraction, and other concepts necessary for math competency. It also matches well with the topics they see in school. Plus, there are games to play, pictures to color, and friends that they gain along the way. Kids need those perks and breaks. My middle daughter won't tell her older sister how she got to the coloring place. Guess what? My eldest now wants to explore every part of the adventure so she can find it. That leads to more math skills. Very cool.

I get to see their progress through the Parent Dashboard and occasional emails with updates. Of course, I'm usually in the room with them, so I know what they've done. However, if you aren't always around, you can still see what your kid has accomplished. Plus, I can show my husband.

Get on over there. Get a free trial. Then, sign up. If you sign up in the month of April, you get this remarkable learning tool for just $6.48 a month. No software to download. All you need is an internet connection. Think of those summer months coming up. You will be glad that you helped your youngster master these math skills (up to 2nd grade skills).

1 comment:

dragon knitter said...

makes me wish i were young enough to play! of course, i never thought math was boring (this is the kid who used to spend her summer months making a times table up to 100, with brain-only calculations)