Wednesday, November 26, 2008

One Year

Today, November 26th, marks the one year anniversary of us living in New Orleans. If I had time I would write about how much we enjoyed Mardi Gras, how well we've been received by our neighbors, and how easily we fit here. I don't, though. It's enough to say that I feel as much at home here as I have any other place. We even made it through the summer, and, no, we didn't bug out to a different clime.

I could write about the email blasts that I get from the police district. I could talk about the houses. I could write about the crime rate. Truth is, I've not been affected by those things on a personal level. The hurricanes and crime stories do affect my husband's ability to recruit other physicians, though. There's a call out to have people to sign a petition to recall a city official. I wish someone would do the same for the police chief.

Will we stay here? Of course. This city has life, though some can be strangled. Tough decisions need to be made. The current economic condition of the country won't help the city either.

I'd meant this to be a celebratory post, relating our times here. I just don't have the time.

3 comments:

Trixie said...

Happy Anniversary! I can't wait to bring Baby #2 to visit for Mardi Gras.

Genevieve said...

Congratulations on your first year.

Kelley P said...

I can't wait to join you. Our family has thought so much about all those things, too. There is just something about the city of New Orleans that is magical and that trumps all the difficult stuff. I lift my imaginary PJ's iced mocha in a toast to your first year:)
Kelley