Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Kicking Something

Elle at Maxwell the Tatooed Boy and Other Astounding Joys granted me this award.

Wow, thank you, Elle. How nice of you to tell me that I kick ass. Like the Thinking Blogger award some time agon, I wonder if I really fit the bill. But, Elle thinks I do, so I will accept it graciously, or as graciously as you can whilst also kicking ass. (I have a feeling that my blog rating will be raised to R with the numbers of times I have kicked ass in this post.)

What's really great about these awards is that readers get to learn new sites to read. In the spirit of bloggers helping the victims of Hurricane Gustav, I give you some kick ass blogs.

Squandered Heritage. This is a blog that might not appeal to people outside of New Orleans or Louisiana, but this lady helped to bring in the FBI to investigate a failed charity. She also visited the United Houma Nation, who were very affected by the most recent hurricane.

Humid City. Another New Orleans blog that covers divergent topics. Never a dull read.

NolaNotes. I met her through the Weekend Blog Hoppers. Her posts can be about New Orleans or about life.

Maitri's Vatul Blog
. Another New Orleans blogger who traveled with Karen G of Squandered Heritage to the parishes affected most by Gustav.

Steve Buser's New Orleans Daily Photo. Yes, I have chose only New Orleans' bloggers. What can I say? This places has so many interesting people!


And, well, there are many others that deserve this award, but I'm going to take this time to ask you not to think Gustav didn't have an effect on an important part of the country simply because New Orleans had levees that held. The people dealing with the aftermath man the oil wells and the pipelines and catch fish and shrimp and give us Cajun culture in return. If you would like to help out the United Houma Nation, click here.

As a last note, the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere has borne the brunt of most of the tropical storms and hurricanes passing the Carribbean. The Lambi Fund of Haiti is a unique grassroots organization whose mission is to assist the popular, democratic movement in Haiti. Its goal is to help strengthen civil society in Haiti as a necessary foundation for democracy and development. All of us can certainly give a little to help a nation in dire trouble.



There are rules to these awards, and I will dutifully post them. You can click on the award above to go to the original site.
* Choose 5 bloggers that you feel are "Kick Ass Bloggers"
* Let 'em know in your post or via email, twitter or blog comments that they've received an award (I'll get to that.)
* Share the love and link back to both the person who awarded you and back to www.mammadawg.com (Yep, covered.)
* Hop on back to the Kick Ass Blogger Club HQ to sign Mr. Linky then pass it on! (Not enough time in my day to get it all completed!)

4 comments:

nola said...

Congrats on the blog award! And thank you for bestowing the award on my blog. Glad you continued the Gustav story. :)

Steve Buser said...

Sarabeth, thanks for the honor and the vote of confidence. The award given you was certainly well earned.

Keep up the good work.

My project I have been playing around with is
http://IDoNotLikeIke.blogspot.com
let me know what you think.

jmb said...

Congratulations on the award Sarabeth. Reading local blogs is a great way to find out all about your beloved new city.

It always strikes me as so awful that people like the Haitians who really have so little lose it over and over again.

Maitri said...

Why, thanks, Sarabeth. The people who need these kick-ass awards are the people of the coastal parishes who work hard and get nothing in return except for the destruction of their land. It's so disconcerting and I can't stop thinking about it. We need to ask the candidates this year what their concrete plan is for Gulf Coast restoration. This is critical.