Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Gustav and Me


Uncertainty. Worries. Plans. I've got them. We're prepared to leave if needs be. Phill remains behind, ensconced at the hospital, no matter what.

I don't have the trauma of Katrina, so my worries are less than others'. All I can do is have my things ready, the contents of the house photographed, and the children and dog prepared.

I read that some locals have prepared some easy to read evacuation maps. Find them at Contraflowmaps.com. Have a plan and an alternate.

So, I wait. I'm ready, though.

6 comments:

Reenie said...

Good God. I need to turn on the TV. I obviously have missed something newsworthy. It's not something I'm especially proud of, but I know no current events. I used to be a media junkie when I lived in Southern CA. with 3 newspaper thrown in my driveway each morning, two online newspapers, and TV... now I don't even watch TV news. A facet of me reallyreallyreally likes living in my beautiful bubble, but I have become wary of desensitizing myself to world issues.

CJ said...

Here's hoping it blows itself out far away from you. When I was a little girl in New Orleans, I loved getting ready for hurricanes. Weird, huh? It felt like an adventure, taping up the windows and packing up our bags. I hope it's stress-free for all your kids and for you too.

Liz Self said...

I'll be keeping an eye on it. This might make Wes rethink his consideration of New Orleans as a future home :)

Sarabeth said...

Oh, Liz, don't let it. Well, unless Gustav causes another Federal flood.

New Orleans is unique and will always be unique. This place is reverent, raucous, and genteel all at the same time. There is music, art, food, commerce. And, man, does this town love a get-together.

Like I've said before, the city has problems, but at least I know what each and every one of them are.

Jen of A2eatwrite said...

Oh, Sarabeth, I hope you all remain okay. My thoughts and prayers and good vibes and all of that are with New Orleans and the whole Gulf Coast right now.

jmb said...

I do hope everything goes well and your preparations are just precautionary Sarabeth. Take care.