Saturday, July 12, 2008

Help Settle a Dispute?


Here in New Orleans, people hibernate in the summer instead of the winter. The city, when the wind doesn't come off the river, boils you in your skin. Sure, we find pools for cooling and even wander the streets at night eating at local establishments who offer deep discounts this time of year. If you add that Phill is attempting to find the best place to have a Sazerac, we've been around.

With the kids though, I have found many things to do during the day. One involves looking forward to Mardi Gras next year. Who knew I was such a long-term planner? We have taken the beads that we did not recycle to use as mosaic tiles for the seats of the ladders the kids use to watch the parades. We finished one on Friday.

On that one, we attempted a fleur de lis, but we failed. On this one? Well? You tell me. Next to the flower, what do you see in the green frame? Be honest. I'm looking for some more summer entertainment.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

turtle toes said...

At first glance, I see a lizard.

CJ said...

A lizard? A Boy Scout emblem? A Boy Scout emblem from the Lizard Planet?

Sarabeth said...

Yep, that's what I thought. Apparently, I am no good at the fleur de lis, one of the official symbols of Louisiana.

Why do the Boy Scouts have a fleur de lis as their emblem? Hmm? I know they say it's a trefoil, but really, what's the difference?

I should say, though, it's a nice lizard.

dragon knitter said...

i knew what it was right away. lizard. BAH! looks good to me! and an ingenious way to recycle beads, i think

Kell said...

I agree. It's definitely a newt, lizard, or salamander.

Jen of A2eatwrite said...

Honestly, i thought Fleur de Lis right away. Great project!

Sarabeth said...

Jen, I love you. You are my new best friend. It was supposed to be a fleur de lis, but alas, it looks more like a lizard, now. Bead art is not easy with two little girls, one boy, and one husband deciding what goes where.

Our next re-use project? Bead curtains for the girls' rooms.

elizabeth.thomas said...

I see an "appegator" Hee. Hee. Hee.

dragon knitter said...

thanks for your comment. tears again, but that's ok. i love the sea.

Elle said...

nononono.no no. That. my friends, is most assuredly a fleur de lis, wonderfully rendered in the perfect medium for it, Mardi Gras beads.