Thursday, May 22, 2008

Signs? Doom? Nah, We live here anyway.

While walking White Dragon this morning, I joined some friends. Our casual conversation turned into a discussion over the Formosan termites that swarmed last week. The woman told me of the time when a swarm of alates came out of a nest in their wall. She demonstrated how she screeched and ran hastily to the shower after turning on a light, causing the winged devils to target her.

I described on own experience of just the things coming in the vent hood of the range. "I knew not to panic, but sitting in the dark gets rather ridiculous. My aunt and uncle were definitely worried for me."

"Oh," she joked, "here in New Orleans, we've got it all: swarms, floods, probably pestilence."

You might be thinking that, too. Let me tell you this, though. This is the friendliest place I've ever lived, the most open to new comers. Add in the fabulous food, interesting architecture, Mardi Gras, Jazz Fest, along with the scents of jasmine, gardenia, and magnolia, and I call this place a wonderful place to live.


Yep, there are bad parts, but you've got those, too. You might not even know about your city's bad points. See, here in The Big Easy, we know all the problems and the bad parts. Our eyes are wide open.

3 comments:

nola said...

Glad to know you'll have her, warts and all!!

Jen of A2eatwrite said...

It sounds like a place outside of time. I can understand the fierce loyalty it engenders.

mchebert said...

Glad you are settling in there. Did you make it to Jazz Fest?