Friday, April 25, 2008

High Water

My hospital room has a view of the Mississippi River. I can see the Huey P. Long bridge and various barges and tug boats along the riverside. In between the river and the hospital and the neighborhoods is a levee. Atop that levee, which looks like a big hill covered in grass, is a bike/pedestrian path. Phill rides along it to get to work. He'd told me about the rising river these past few weeks, but I'd yet to grasp what rising river meant. Now, seeing with my own eyes, I understand. Perhaps six feet or less from the bike path lies the overflow of the river. Amazing to see.

The above photo is a sepia-toned shot of the paddle-wheel boat Natchez, which is available for river cruises near the French Quarter.

10 comments:

Ami said...

Wow, Sarabeth.

I hope they figure out quickly how to make the nastiness in your nose go extinct. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.

Kell said...

Feel better, mon ami!!!! I'm thinking of you!

tricia said...

I'm sorry to hear that you landed in the hospital! I hope that you get better and can go home soon.

SB Sarah said...

Dude. That BITES. Feel better soon. And read something really effing trashy. It'll make you feel better, I hope!

Sarabeth said...

Thank, all y'all well wishers.

SB Sarah, I have read Mary Buckham's Invisible Recruit. A nice read with two great characters, but not very trashy. Next up is a Catherine Mann. I think it is one of her Wingman Warrior series.

When I'm not reading, I'm writing on my own manuscript. Well, and staring out the window.

If any of you want the whole story, email me. I don't mind sending it. I'm just not publishing it for all those google hits. hpsarabethATgmailDOTcom

dragon knitter said...

only YOU would blog from your hospital bed, lol. get well soon, and let's hope they figure it out quickly. i'm sure your kidlets are missing you.

Sarabeth said...

Thanks, DK. Blogging from the hospital bed is due to free Wi-Fi, a computer the husband does not want to touch as he works with very susceptible patients, and forced isolation. Plus, I'm not a TV junkie. Books, yeah. I've got six e-books on the puter that I haven't read.

Plus, writing in this environment is quite easy.

The kids do miss me, but absence makes the heart grow fonder.

nola said...

Hope you are sprung from the hospital soon--at least you have a really good view!!

jmb said...

I do hope you get better soon Sarabeth. This is not a good way to get a rest and I'm sure everyone is missing you and vice versa. If you are sending out a group generic email, send it to me, but don't bother if it's a nuisance.
Take care and hope you get discharged soon.

ami said...

Writing in that environment is easy? Hrmmm...

Naw.