Tuesday, March 25, 2008

What are you reading now?

Last week, Phill traveled on business, and like many parents do, he brought presents for all of us. While he waited in Regan National Airport, he browsed the shelves of Borders. He purchased a Shel Silverstein book, a book about pirates not changing diapers, a board book about a bear sleeping, and a romance novel for me. (Doesn't he get points for buying a romance novel? He does from me.)

He bought the romance for me based on its back cover blurb. Having similarities to what I am currently writing, he thought it would be research. Yes. It is research in that I realized that I don't write in the same style as this author (or many other romance authors) and that I won't. I didn't like it. Reading this book shoved me to reading a sequel to The Once and Forever King, which is entitled The Broken Sword. Changing the genres I read helps me as a writer.

What are you reading now and why?

6 comments:

Liz Self said...

I am reading a historical fiction book by Matthew Pearl called (I think) The Poe Shadow. It's about the mysterious death of Edgar Allan Poe. I read a previous book of Pearl's, The Dante Club, which was about Longfellow, Holmes, and Lowell translating The Divine Comedy and unraveling a murder. I bought this at the airport, like Phil, but because I ended up with a long layover and wanted something I was pretty confident I'd like.

dragon knitter said...

do you want the whole list, lol?

i do consider listening to audio books as "reading" as well.

in the car: Harry Potter and the Order of the PHoenix
in the house: A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon

in the bedroom : A Letter for Mary: A Mary Russel Novel

in the Bathroom : Julie and Julia

#1 because i love the HP books, and sometimes just want something familiar
#2 same thing lol
#3 the book was recommended to me and i like books that take twists on classics (mary russel marries sherlock holmes, and it takes place in the 20's (or so))
#4 again, a recommendation, but since i'm a particular fan of julia child, i thought this would be good (i'm only 14 pages into it, but so far, it is!)

can i ask which author it was?

Sarabeth said...

Liz, I can see how that book would be interesting. I read "The Historian" a while ago because I wanted someone else's take on a classic monster. Using classic literature as a base sounds like a good hook.

Dragon Knitter, the author is Janet Chapman. I just don't write characters like hers. The hero in this particular book goes gaga over the heroine's matching bra and panties. In my experience, men just want the underwear off. How it looks takes up approximately 3 nanometers of brain space.

I'm sure there will be people who will grunt an "ugh" at my stories, too. Some reader will want more T&A, more talk during sex, an alpha hero who says things like, "Come for me like you did last time." I flung the book across the couch when I read that.

Have you read the newer Diana Gabaldon? Something about the Brotherhood of the Blade? I've read some great reviews. I'll have to download an e-book of hers. I'm not writing historical romances, so it hasn't been a big focus of my reading lately.

Audio books are reading. You are taking in the words, which is what it is all about.

Kell said...

Absurdistan.

jmb said...

A bit late here for this but I just finished today a great book called The City of Falling Angels, non fiction about Venice and Venetians by John Berendt, author of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

I liked the early Diana Gabaldon books but found the later ones not so interesting. She needs to get a new topic.

Trixie said...

Stiff.

OMGOD.