Thursday, February 28, 2008

Review: Green Works natural cleaners by Clorox

Due to my background in science, I find so much annoying about the greening of products. Advertising tags such as “All Natural” and “No Chemicals” are ugh-inducing to me. My ughs arise from the knowledge that all things natural are chemicals and everything natural is not good for us or better than that which we can manufacture. You, my dear friend, are composed of chemicals: deoxyribonucleic acid, acetylcholine, dopamine, and water (yep, chemical). There is a reason that certain scientists take a course entitled “Organic Chemistry”; even those organic vegetables and fruits have chemicals (although not those that could be sprayed upon them).


Yet, I am sensitive to the constant exposure to manufactured chemicals we endure. When possible, I use baking soda as a cleanser (a chemical, sodium bicarbonate) or rely on just plain water. I know that bleach and ammonia are effective as banishing those bad “bugs” from countertops and bathrooms; I dislike using them due to the noxious smells. In all honesty, some of the orange-powered cleansers have scents that I cannot stand in large doses.

My newly found worry regarding cleansers arose while watching my three children soak in the bathtub. All three of them pretend to be fish, mermaids (or men), or scuba divers, which means that they routinely dive under the water. Having recently been cleaned, I wondered if I had really removed the soft scrub from the enamel. Were lingering particles and bleaching agents slowly infiltrating my children? I chastised myself for my level of worry.

When MomCentral asked if I would like to try the new line of cleaning solutions from Clorox called Green Works, I said yes. I appreciated their definition "What Natural Means":

When we created Green Works™ natural cleaners, we defined natural using three core principles. The ingredients must come from renewable resources, be biodegradable and free of petrochemicals. Our stringent standard sets the bar for natural cleaning very high, but we think it's worth it.

I received an all-purpose cleaner along with a glass & surface cleaner.

I wish that I could say I had some horrendous mess on the counters or in the bathroom to clean, but I didn’t. The everyday mess expected in a kitchen was all I had. Oh, and the toothpaste splatter all over the kids’ bathroom mirror. I tried the Green Works glass cleaner for that last one. What I got was a streak-free clean without too much cleaner sprayed upon the surface. On the kitchen counter, I used the all-purpose cleanser. Yep, got that clean, too.

What I like best about these two products is the scent that emanates as you clean. My best description is that of a freshly squeezed lemon mixed with sparkling water or much like the fresh lemonade I used to buy with my dad at Florida State football games. Its lemon scent uplifted me. I wanted to find more surfaces to clean just so I could smell it. So, I cleaned the mirror and counter in the powder room, in the master bath, the glass in the front door, the slanted slope of the range hood. Let’s say I got carried away.

Do I need to say that I would recommend this product? There are no overly processed chemicals. There are no harsh smells. I am not worried that there are lingering lemon molecules on my bathtub walls. I am going to investigate the other types of cleaning agents in the Clorox Green Works line. I think you should, too.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

maddjones: Sounds good, however if I buy yet another cleaner or cleaning gaget my husband will strangle me. His point being owning the product and having it sit on the shelf doesn't help clean our house, that I actually have to get up off my butt and add the human effort to the cleaning equation. (smirk>)Guilty as charged. I may do the dishes, but he does most of the household cleaning.

Sarabeth said...

maddjones, please don't get strangled. Here's a trick. Get Idril to help clean the windows. No one, and I mean no one, gets rid of spray cleaners faster than a four year old, especially one with her father's penchant for perfection. ;-)

Huckdoll said...

Very well written and interesting post. I use the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on the tub...I don't even want to know what's in it - but it does a beautiful job. Honestly, the tub is probably the hardcore test for any product really.

Angela: mom2girlsgirlsgirls: said...

Hi--interesting info. I'm actually here because I couldn't comment at your cr8Buzz page and wanted to say hello. I LOVE your background over there!!!

Pand0ra Wilde said...

The best attempt to freak people out I've seen around my soapmaking discussion lists? Dihydrogen Monoxide.

Yeah, sometimes I have a naughty sense of humor. Other times, I'm just a b*****.

Sarabeth said...

Pand0ra, I was so tempted to write dihydrogen monoxide. Oh, I really was, but I decided not to be too overly scientific. There's so much to scare us in this world, that I didn't want to cause a ruckus regarding water.

Sandy C. said...

I just saw a commercial for these, and I'm very curious to try them. I'm so glad I read your post :)

Karen MEG said...

I just passed by that product yesterday ... I'll have to give it a shout, even though I don't clean a heck of a lot, it'll make me feel better that at least my cleaning products are green LOL!

turtle toes said...

I picked some of the all purpose cleaner up today and love it! (I even used it on the bathroom mirror and got a nice streak-free clean!)

BookMomma said...

Oooo.. I'm a cleanser slut and love to try the neest thing on the market. This sounds great! Thanks for the tip.

Cheers from the Weekend Blog Hoppers!

Elle said...

I am running out to find these products post haste!