Monday, February 04, 2008

Review: Froose Juice

When you receive a product for review, it is difficult to give a negative review, but here it goes.

From the website:
Froose® is an innovative new beverage for children that combines the best of organic whole grains and fruit to make a delicious and nutritious alternative to juice that is naturally low in sugar and a good source of fiber...as much as eating a whole piece of fruit.

Sounds like a good idea for a parent to give a kid, especially since there are so many choices out there that have no real juice, are loaded with corn syrup, or . . . well are soda. Aren't we, as parents, always on the lookout for products that kids find tasty and have real nutritional value.

My children, on the whole, were not enamored of this juice. My eldest spit out the Perfect Pear. My youngest pronounced the pear as yucky. These are the two kids who eat cauliflower and broccoli without prodding. My middle child liked the Cheerful Cherry. Yet, she would not choose it over a cup of regular apple juice. My middle one loves berries of all kinds. In fact, she's never met a fruit she didn't like. So, I was surprised that she didn't enjoy the Playful Peach juice.

In the end, the idea is great. I'd love someone to enrich ketchup so my youngest, who would use ketchup on everything
if I allowed it. My children, who eat whole grain pasta and bread, as well as loading up on vegetables and fruit over any meat offered, routinely declined my offers of the juice boxes in favor of water after playing. Out of the 12 boxes I received gratis, seven remain in my refrigerator. As I said, the pear juice met its end after I sipped it. Not even I could finish it. This is not a product I would recommend.

3 comments:

Trixie said...

Well don't give it to the food bank either!

Anonymous said...

Either these guys seriously muffed their formula, or you've given your kids excessively healthy tastes for this sort of testing....

Dave H.

Sarabeth said...

Dave, other moms have reported that their kids loved the juice, so . . . like most cuisine, it is a matter of taste. My kids like their sugar as all do, but when I didn't like the juice I gave them a pass on this product.