Thursday, February 28, 2008

My Neighborhood

The gate in front of the Bradish-Johnson House at the Louise S. McGehee School for Girls

I am both comfortable and not in my new neighborhood. Telling people that I live in The Garden District either evokes images of creepy mansions filled with the Vampire Lestat or of a witch dealing with an evil spirit from the novels of Anne Rice. Her former mansion is easy to find, and across from it is a decrepit carriage house that Lestat could have lain in wait for the dour Louis. At least, that is what Phill thinks.

I marvel at the size of the mansions in comparison to the modest, but lovely shotgun houses that share the same police district. Today, parakeets flew from one palm tree to another, chiding each other as they flapped. The scent of flowers mix with the stale air that can seep out from underneath the 100-150+ year old houses.

Iron fences and gates grace the fronts of homes large and small here. Some gleam with fresh paint, while others show rust, inevitable in this climate. Many of the fences are topped with fleur de lis, an enduring symbol of this city. One home's fence shows evidence of where over zealous fans have removed the iron fleur de lis, simply to show that they had seen the house of Archie Manning, father to two super NFL quarterbacks. When the cab driver told me that people did this, I tisked, wondering how a person could be so dismissive of another's property. I can be so innocent and well-thinking of the world.

Apparently, someone must think we are famous, or will be soon, as three of our fleur de lis have been pilfered from along our driveway. I am used to people photographing our house and our shared garage. I enjoy watching the tourists hear about the corn-inspired fence across Prytania from us. I adore the mule-drawn carriages that clip clop along the streets on higher tourist days. But, come on, people, spend some money in one of the gift shops for an iron fleur de lis. Keep your hands off my fence!

23 comments:

Kell said...

I wonder if there's any kind of skin irritant you can spray on the fence tops... I guess not - but isn't it creepy of me to even think this? I'm ashamed... Very ashamed.

Sarabeth said...

I still like you, Kell, and if it wouldn't affect my own family, I'd find something to coat the fence with. Should I be ashamed, too?

angie said...

Does this mean you want them back? j/k. I'm totally intrigued about your house now........hope you share more in the future. Or maybe you already have and I just need to look through your archives?

Sarabeth said...

Angie, you did make me laugh.

There are pictures of the house in the archives. This is the link. Just scroll past the Green Works review for the photos I've taken.

Angela: mom2girlsgirlsgirls: said...

Who do they think they are anyhow!

Your neighborhood sounds beautiful, especially the palm trees. For now, I can only dream...

April said...

It's highly probable that my parents have been those tourists outside your home (they love New Orelans and go as often as they can), and possible my mom snapped a photo or two!

Blog Hoppin',
Balancing Hops

Jen of A2eatwrite said...

That seems pretty outrageous. It also seems like you live in an enchanted neighborhood - good for your white dragon, I would guess. ;-)

Tara R. said...

Maybe you could link it up to a car battery.... sizzzzzle! Just playing. Really some people!

blog hopping - etcetera

Caffeine Court said...

My sister just adopted a four month old dog from New Orleans. He was a stray.

I've never been to your fair city-but I would love to come down sometimes, it looks so cool@

Mommy Bits said...

Sounds like you live in a beautiful neighborhood, though I am sorry people are sntaching parts of your gate (weirdos). I love neighborhoods with depth.

Blog Hoppin~

Anastasia Beaverhousin

Karen MEG said...

People will steal just about anything these days won't they - I mean, what they heck are they doing with them? What a shame.

Your neighbourhood looks and sounds just gorgeous. Such history. I bet your home is just beautiful too.

Ty's Dad said...

What a beautiful neighborhood. Thanks so much for stopping by our blog.

Karen C. said...

Wow, such great pictures. I've always wanted to go to New Orleans and haven't gotten there yet.

Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier and leaving a comment!!

Steve Buser said...

I wonder if the pilfering has always been like that or an after-the-storm phenomenon

Sister Honey Bunch said...

What a great neighborhood. How beautiful People who steal suck.

Bloghopping

Angela: mom2girlsgirlsgirls: said...

I've already commented once, but now I'm out trying to get in some blog hopping before I fall asleep at my keyboard!

Stacey @Real World Mom said...

Beautiful photos!

Happy Saturday! Blog Hoppin'! :-)
"Margarita Mom"

cablegirl said...

I have to tell you, I love that seconds shot of the gate. It's beautiful.

of topic I know, but still, just had to say that.

blog hop hop hoppin

Sarabeth said...

Everyone, thanks for the compliments. It really is a great neighborhood with grand mansions and some rather shack like looking places. As I wander on dog walks with the two year old on my back I will snap different photos.

If you want other photos of New Orleans, please check out Steve Buser's Daily Photo blog. Just click on his profile for it. It's in my reader, and I enjoy seeing his captures of scenes around this odd city.

Steve, the cabbie told me that people have been doing it to Archie Manning's fence for years. It is rather bare. So, it probably isn't an post-K thing. Can't these people just visit one of the shops along Magazine St three blocks away? C'mon!!!

Cablegirl, I like the fence post photo, too. My kids and I were laying in the grass that day and there was the fence against that blue, blue sky.

Mackenzies Momma said...

Goregous pics. You're neighborhood sounds wonderful, I hope to someday visit the fair city down there.

Blog Hoppin'

The Spacer

BusyDad said...

Time to invest in a bbgun. My friend got sick and tired of his truck being broken into and bought himself a nice bbgun. He staked his car out for nights on end (funny, he's a pretty busy actor these days, but back then he had nothing better to do!) and one night he got his revenge. Those things are silent so you can squeeze off plenty of shots before the perpetrator escapes beyond range.

jmb said...

A very beautiful neighbourhood it is too Sarabeth. Parakeets or budgies as we called them from the aboriginal word, I love them, it reminds me of Australia where they were everywhere.

People are so peculiar when they are away from home. I'll bet they would never do that in their home town.

Huckdoll said...

Your neighborhood sounds fascinating. Thanks for sharing the stories - looking forward to more. Hope you are enjoying Sunday.