Monday, January 07, 2008

Mostly This City is Purple and Gold


Today, Louisiana State University and Ohio State University meet in the Superdome for the college football championship. On Friday, a notice went home in the kids' bags that stated that purple and gold could be worn in lieu of uniforms. Those are the team colors of LSU. Also, due to predicted traffic, there is no after-school care.

The colors I have seen this past weekend are black and red, those of Ohio State fans as they tour the Garden District.

As I went to the post office to share my copies of Pride and Prejudice with a friend in Alabama (think of it as a long term grant), I noticed that nearly everyone wore a bit of purple and gold. I suspect that many of them aren't actual fans of LSU. Because the colors of Mardi Gras (on Feb. 5th) are green, purple, and gold finding the proper colors to wear today is easy.

What I'm trying to figure is if I should buy decorations for Mardi Gras? It's my first year here. I think the decision is going be dictated by not having a clue.

I do need to find some purple to wear, though. It isn't my usual color.

3 comments:

Kell said...

I think purple will be a beautiful color on you. Go for it!

jmb said...

Yes, decorate for Mardi Gras. Any excuse to decorate is good and Mardi Gras in New Orleans is something very special.

maddjones said...

hey we know how much you love orange and you lived in UVA's back yard for 6+ years :>