Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Learning in Baby Steps

Jazz.

Mardi Gras.

Food, like gumbo, jambalaya, etouffee.

Those are words that make many think of New Orleans.

I grew up with spicy chilis, dark roux, and fried turkeys. I ate seafood of any kind, but I never found myself eating crawfish. I remember being grossed out about eating something that looked like a small lobster. I wasn't in to crab either. As I aged, I realized that crab rocked! Mmmm, the sweetness of the meat pulled straight from the legs and claws. No butter needed for me. Lobster? Just OK. I'd opt for shrimp any day.

I'm much less a person who says "Ew!" to food. With the exception of raw oysters and sushi, I'll eat most foods if set in front of me. So, when a bowl of seafood gumbo, full of shrimp and crawfish tails, was set in front of me, I ate it. I loved it. I wanted more.

That experience led me to buy a one pound package of crawfish tails from the grocery store. I didn't know what I would do with them, but I had them in the freezer for the day that I decided to try my hand at Louisiana cooking. Last night was the day. For a recipe, I turned to Emeril Lagasse's crawfish etouffee.

Yum. Easy and yummy. I think I'll try another recipe next week. I'm not feeling so squeamish now.

4 comments:

elizabeth.thomas said...

Good for you for eating Crawfish - I just love'em!

Trixie said...

get good at it! We are planning to eat ALOT while at your house in March!

Kell said...

I've said exactly the same thing about Lobster - I'd just as soon and happily eat shrimp.

Darrin said...

Emeril's recipes are awesome. BTW, I love your site (Especially the food section!)