Thursday, August 16, 2007

Figs as a Side Dish

To satisfy Kell, I will post the recipe that I adapted for Phill from the original by Emeril Lagasse.

1 dozen fresh figs
1 T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (possibly a bit more)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella style soy cheese (Phill can't have milk products)
1/4 cup honey (I use less than Emeril)

Trim the stems off the figs and remove any tough parts. Make an X cut in the top of the fig to form a pocket for the cheese. Open the pocket and put a teaspoon or so of cheese inside the fig. Set upright in a baking dish. (If the dish is too small, insert a formed foil dish so the figs don't fall over.) Place in 400 degree oven for about ten minutes. I then broil the figs to give the cheese that brown color. This takes just a minute or less. Drizzle with honey. Serve warm.


Emeril puts the honey on the plate with the figs on top. That makes too much of a mess with my kids.

And, now Phill has to deal with three children that eat figs. My youngest ate four yesterday. Phill managed to get three figs as yesterday's harvest was larger.

2 comments:

jmb said...

I guess you don't have raccoons there. I'm sure ours would like those figs. I haven't had a plum off our tree in years since the raccoons take them all. They don't even wait for them to ripen.
regards
jmb

Sarabeth said...

We fight the birds for our figs. Some of the lower figs get nibbled upon by the rabbits, too.

The bushes are so very big, though, that we still get more than we can eat in one sitting.