Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Independence Day

We'll be gone for most of today enjoying a family day at a theme park with fireworks to follow.

Oddly, the theme of the park is Europe, and one of the countries represented is the one from which we gained our independence with the signing of the document written by Charlottesville resident (because he still lives, people!) Thomas Jefferson.

I've also been to Philadelphia to see the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall.

I've been to Boston where I've seen the site of the infamous tea party, Paul Revere's house, and the church from which the signal was relayed. Across the river, we've seen Bunker Hill, but I'm not fact checking as we prepare for our day, so I could be off.

Probably the most interesting place I've been in relation to my country's independence is Cowpens National Battlefield. My sister and I went on a lark while on a short trip together. I am unable to explain why we enjoyed the experience. We did. We watched with fascination as the blue lights and red lights moved across the diorama showing the lines of battle. Really a worthwhile trip.

3 comments:

jmb said...

Happy July 4th to you.

Last year we went to Washington, DC for the first time and we went to see the Declaration of Independence, along with the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, in the National Archives building.

Not only was it extremely interesting, but, even as a non-American, I found it a quite moving experience.

We spent 5 days in Washington and thought it was the most fabulous place. All those wonderful museums and even a zoo. I would go back again any time.

Sarabeth said...

Thank you, jmb. I should add that I've been to DC many, many times. Viewing those documents is moving. Such strength those men had to write such lasting documents.

While DC is the center of our government, I do not see it as central to the Revolutionary War. Is it? Yes, but it isn't steeped in the history as Boston and Philly.

While in Conway, Wales a few years ago, we had a delightful conversation with a couple who couldn't stop raving about all the free activities and museums in DC. It's a cool place.

jmb said...

We are off to New York to see our daughter next month and we wondering if we should go to Philadelphia for a few days. I have been to Boston but never to Philly.
I take it you would recommend it.