Thursday, June 07, 2007

Concocted on a Balmy Night

Back in April, my husband and I were walking around my mother's neighborhood in Florida while the kids were playing with family. As is usual for us, we began talking about writing, plots, and from whose point of view the scene should be written.

I was trying to lay it all out for the reader. Hoping to switch between the myriad of conversations in the chapter, I wanted to try the virtual split screen again. Phill did not approve. He suggested I change the point of view and keep unnecessary details out of the chapter. His argument was the reader didn't need to know of the negotiations; that the reaction of the publican was more important.

Reluctant as I was, I began writing the scene in my head. Visualizing, not so much writing, although I do find words that I want to use as I visualize. By the time I was at the computer, I agreed fully with Phill. The most heated discussion wouldn't be detailed.

I'm interested in what you think. Do you want to know what is being said, or is it good enough to know that it is happening without needing the particulars?

Chapter 35.

1 comment:

jmb said...

Well, having read the chapter, I do want to know what transpired and I am assuming all will come clear to the reader when Ian explains it to Katharine. So I think it's OK not to detail the actual discussion, unless you can think of something really interesting that might have been said.
If this is a generic question, I think the topic of the discussion would govern "need to know fully" on the whole, or if you wanted to leave some clues or make some explanation for the reader.
regards
jmb