Thursday, May 03, 2007

Things you should know about my father (9)

He was an excellent driver. He drove our family on most vacations. It isn't that my mother was a bad driver; Dad just liked being in control. It was an honor for him to ask another person to drive. At least I always felt that Dad was showing his trust in me when he asked me to drive. The day that he fell asleep while I drove home from a trip to Tallahassee is one I will remember for a long time. I truly felt honored.

He was also a person who could drive and talk on a mobile phone simultaneously. Perhaps it was his training as a pilot in the Marine Corps.


This is so difficult, constantly referring to him in the past tense.

1 comment:

Trixie said...

I remember when my father first asked me to drive from Tallahassee to Pcola. It was the first time he had ever ridden with me as a driver. I didn't get my license until college and never drove when I was home on break. I didn't get a car until graduate school. So it was way later in life that this opportunity came up and I was really pleased. Proud even. My father is also a true "driver". Even in his advancing age, the sense of control is amazing. He measures risks so internally and so quickly that it almost appears that he never takes them. I once called him a "Grandpa" driver but that was because he was driving so safely. Another long distance trip where I was following him in a second car. He led the pack and made sure that any decision he made would give us following him enough time to catch up/make the same decision. Unlike friends (and one Aunt) who would whiz through a yellow light without noticing that we had been stopped, my father was perfect and it felt weird...like he was holding back. So I called him a "Grandpa" driver but in fact, he was leading his squadron just as he did as an aviator. Dad may lose control of his temper or his opinion - but he never loses control of his machine or gun. He never endangers his team. I know it's hard HP. All I can say is that I am sorry (yet not) that it is you going down this path first. While I wouldn't want either of us to go down this road - I know it has to happen. But my Dad hasn't seen his grandbabies yet. I need him to wait a while. I need someone super strong to be there for me when it happens. Someone who can tell me to tough it out and not give me all that "God" crap. You will be that person. You will be my rock. I am sorry that you got appointed to this role. I really am. I love you, old friend!