Thursday, May 03, 2007

Recycling Stories

Last year I wrote about how much I was worth based on a story on Salary.com. When I say last year, I mean on this day last year (that would be before my world changed completely). I am worth $254,290 if I were paid for all of the duties that I do daily, 24/7 with no vacations, because vacations with children are just somewhere else. (Unless I am at a family member's house, which means that I am only mom half the time and actually get to sleep in some days.)

Today, my awesome friend and neighbor sent me a link to an article about the monetary worth of stay at home moms.

Slow news day? Bringing up a story again? Are they trying to make us that stay at home feel more appreciated? I don't need it. I know I am appreciated by my family, and actually, by my neighbors. It's good to help out because I'm here. After all, I just sit and eat bon bons all day, right?

3 comments:

elizabeth.thomas said...

For 2/3 of your children prefer me to be "mom" when on vacation. :)

ami said...

The upshot of that is that everyone does a lot of work for no pay. Money is really only a means to living.

The only reason I think it is important to determine the monetary value of our work is when considering life and disability insurance. Except that I'm also irritated that a SAHM does not earn any social security points while she is doing so. Of course, I also know that SS is already overburdened and could hardly take such a load.

But the point is that from the beginning, this society has not valued a mother's work and so does not recognize how financially devestating to the family the loss of that mother would be. This would be on top of the emotional loss.

Sarabeth said...

Ami, when we got life insurance for me the types of jobs that I do at home were taken into account so that the company and we could determine what level of coverage. We were pleased that the company had a value for my "work".

I also disagree that society doesn't value a mother's work. I see plenty of evidence of sincere gratitude for me just being a mom. Whenever I use that phrase of "just a mom" the immediate response I get is "You're doing real work."