Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Things you should know about my father (4)


He knew how to fix nearly everything. If he couldn't actually do the work himself, he still knew how the job should be done.

A few years ago we added on a sunroom to the house. Shortly afterwards, we lost power in the electrical sockets in my eldest daughter's room. He waved it off as an easy project to have fixed. In a few sentences he told me how it was.

He decided that a nail had gone through a wire causing the current not to alternate.

"It'll be easy. Just get an electrician to cap off the wires for the good outlet. He can get at through the sunroom attic. What he'll do is run power to those outlets from the sunroom box. Simple."

I heard it, remembered it, and then let the outlets exist as they were--broken. It was just so far down on the honey-do list.

On Monday I made the call to an electrician. The guy arrived on Tuesday, took 15 minutes to diagnose the problem, and fixed it in under an hour. How did the electrician fix it?

Just like Dad said.

2 comments:

dragon knitter said...

cool. sounds like my dad

elizabeth.thomas said...

I'm not surprised at all. I miss him so very much.