Monday, April 23, 2007

Texting


A thirteen year old girl won $25,000 for texting the word supercalifragilisticexpialidocious in 15 seconds. Good for her. That's a lot of money for a kid that age. Hopefully, her parents will put some of that money away for college or some sensible thing like that.

Or, maybe they could use the money to pay for her mobile phone bill. According to the article, she texts 8,000 messages a month to her friends and family.

Two questions: What kind of parent allows a kid of 13 to have a mobile phone for general use and not just to call mom or dad when problems arise? and Would you let your kid have a mobile phone at this age?

I am with my kids' babysitter's parent's on this issue. If you have a phone, you have to have a way to pay for it on your own. T, the babysitter, used to take care of the kids during the summer for a good many hours a day. I would pay her bi-weekly. One payday she asked me if I could make the check out to her mother. When I asked her why, she told me that she was in debt to her parents from all the text messaging. I wrote that check and the next two checks to her mother. These weren't $20 checks either. T was in way over her head. She learned a valuable lesson that summer.

So, what about you? What's your stance on technology (mobile phones, iPods, etc) for your kids?

5 comments:

dragon knitter said...

no cell phones, no texting, no iPod, none of that for the kids. not until they can pay for it themselves. considering i have two boys (12 &14), who are thinking about cars, i don't think they'll be affording cells, lol. however, i have heard there is one out there that is programmed to only call certain numbers, and as the parent, you get to pick the numbers. i might do that, once they get more mobile.

Sarabeth said...

That last option sounds like a great idea.

Awesome Mom said...

I would let my kids have the phones that can only call pre programmed numbers. Pay phones are hard to find now. Other than that they would have to earn the money for it and even if they were paying their own cell bill I would not let them have free access to the phone. Once they get home the phone is off and their friends have to call the land line so I could monitor how much time they are really spending on the phone.

Kell said...

Dave caved and got his daughter unlimited texting. Between you, me and the blogosphere, I can't stand that he lets her text at restaurants... I guess that's the only thing - She's sixteen... And he got her the phone because he's not always with her (children of divorce...sigh). At one point, she texted A LOT - and he just switched.

Liz Self said...

Speaking from the perspective of a teacher and not a parent, the permissibility that exists with teens these days drives me CRAZY. I spent not a small portion of my day trying to get my students off the phone IN CLASS. If they're talking on it or it rings, I take it, but the girls hide their phones in their laps with their coats or sweatshirts and text clandestinely. The school won't just step up and start taking phone (and only returning them to parents) because the PARENTS rant so much about us taking their kids' phones. It's absurd. God save my children -- who knows what I'll be like when they become teens...