Friday, April 20, 2007

Not What I Wanted to Hear


According to the Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor that I saw on Friday, my ear drum did have a hole in it, but it appears to be healing as it has a scab on it. I will be on antibiotics for the next ten days (well, seven now), but the ringing in my ears will probably last up to a month.

Did you read that? A month!

Partly due to the ringing, and partially due to the fact that my ear drum isn't moving right now, I cannot ear much, if anything at all, except my own voice in my right ear. Parenting three children and trying to hear my low-talking husband with just one functional ear is difficult.

I do have quite an appreciation of how well my two children, who have had perforated ear drums in the past, dealt with the situation. To them, the echoing of their voice inside their heads was probably interesting. Did they have ringing? I don't know. Maybe. Probably. Kids are resilient. I'm not doing that well. I want to just put on those Bose sound wave canceling headphones and hide in my room.

I will have to learn to write on the novel while my ear is ringing. I can't take a month off from writing. That just won't do. I am editing some of the earlier chapters. That feels good.

1 comment:

ami said...

Ouch, that sounds horrible. (Okay, sorry about the awful pun.) Too bad that is going on with you though, or it was... I suppose you are off the antibiotics by now. What I get for not being able to hardly sit at my computer for over a week.

I hope it is healing well. I hope you can filter out that irritating sound or that it goes away soon.