Friday, April 13, 2007

I've had enough of romantic love

Even U2 knows what I'm talking about with the romance. (Emphasis added.)

"Miracle Drug"

I want to trip inside your head
Spend the day there...
To hear the things you haven't said
And see what you might see

I want to hear you when you call
Do you feel anything at all?
I want to see your thoughts take shape
And walk right out

Freedom has a scent
Like the top of a new born baby's head

The songs are in your eyes
I see them when you smile
I've seen enough I'm not giving up
On a miracle drug

Of science and the human heart
There is no limit
There is no failure here sweetheart
Just when you quit...

I am you and you are mine
Love makes nonsense of space
And time...will disappear
Love and logic keep us clear
Reason is on our side, love...

The songs are in your eyes
I see them when you smile
I've seen enough of romantic love
I'd give it up, yeah, I'd give it up
For a miracle, a miracle drug, a miracle drug

God I need your help tonight

Beneath the noise
Below the din
I hear a voice
It's whispering
In science and in medicine
"I was a stranger
You took me in"

The songs are in your eyes
I see them when you smile
I've seen enough of romantic love
I'd give it up, yeah, I'd give it up
For a miracle, miracle drug

Miracle, miracle drug

And, if I can ever get the codes to work, I'll put up a recording of the song.

3 comments:

Ami said...

One of the reasons I like that song so much is that you can hear it at two levels: One is your husband or wife, and the other is God - Christ for the christian, Buddah for the buddhist, etc. I've heard it both ways in my head. It isn't a fairy God of wishes and magic and superstion though, but the God of the real world where rationalism, science, and logic are the tools of understanding it.

Sarabeth said...

Ami, I've never heard that side of it, but as you know my beliefs that isn't surprising.

When I first heard the song, I thought of a man wondering about his mentally ill partner's thoughts. Call it depression or bipolar, but that is always what I hear.

My favorite line is "Freedom has a scent like the top of newborn baby's head." That's a great line.

Ami said...

I never heard the mentally ill partner, but I can definately see it now that you point it out. It fits very well. I grew up with a mom who was severely depressed.

I totally agree with you about the freedom line. I love it.

In the 'god' one, the miracle drug I envision is something to cure all the world's ills, very much in keeping for Bono's work in Africa.

This song is one I like to have on my playlist while running, actually, especially while training for a 5K like Race for the Cure.

For the song to be able to be meaningful in so many different ways, that is some fantastic writing there.