Monday, April 23, 2007

Chapter 8

In a furious fit of editing, I cut a huge swath of this chapter recently. I did save the swath that I cut in a separate file, which is labeled "Talking with Father" because that is what I am mostly excising. It isn't working for me any longer. I don't want it in there. I don't want the reader to have Kathryn's full memories unclouded, unfiltered.

As in the last chapters, I replaced it with dialog that, I hope, fills out the characters. If you can't relate to them, if you don't either love or hate the characters, you won't care what happens to them. This was a problem that I had with a book I picked out to read at my mother's house. I just didn't care what happened to the characters--even to a ten year old boy. I didn't read much of it. Phill finished it, but he has more tolerance for suspense novels than I do.

The dialog is still a bit spare. I'll continue to add the details. But, I am becoming better at letting the writing leave my files. Am I after a literary masterpiece? No. Do I want others to want to know what happens to the people? Yes.

So, Chapter 8.

No comments: