Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Sharing

As I sip my morning coffee, I see out of the corner of my eye my eldest daughter sharing the dregs of the peanut butter on her spoon with the dog. My son arrives next to her. My daughter pulls the spoon away from the dog and gives it to her brother.

My father would understand. He used to share a spoon of ice cream with a tom cat we had many years ago. I also know that once my dog, The Brute, stole my father's apple when he left it on a low table. What did my dad do? He grabbed the apple from my dog's mouth and, without washing it, finished eating it.

Yeah, Dad would understand and laugh, loudly.

4 comments:

elizabeth.thomas said...

Yes, he would laugh very loudly and smile with both his mouth and his eyes. He would beam at Megan following in his steps. Makes me smile as well - yes, tears in my eyes a little, but mostly smile.

Trixie said...

Gross. Ick. I would not eat after an animal although I do let them lick the leftovers once in awhile.

jmb said...

I think that's a bit far for me too, but maybe a cat has a cleaner mouth. We have a long horse trail near us where everyone rides and my dog would eat the horse droppings if you didn't watch her.
I still used to let her lick my face, well not right after but...
jmb

Sarabeth said...

You squeamish people! Well, even I would hesitate if I lived near a horse trail. What's a little dog slobber?