Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Gifted Students Beat The Blues With Heavy Metal

Well, I certainly did. My preferred music until I grew up a little bit more (about when I met my husband) included hair bands, heavy metal, and Nine Inch Nails.

Follow the link above to the entire article at Science News Daily. Here's a tidbit:
To find out why this was, the researchers then quizzed 19 gifted students via an online group interview to find out their views on Heavy Metal. These pupils said they did not consider themselves to be ‘Metalheads’ but identified with specific aspects of this youth culture. They spoke specifically about using Heavy Metal for catharsis, literally using the loud and often aggressive music to jump out frustrations and anger.

Ah, head-banging was so cathartic for me. Such memories.

1 comment:

The Preemie Experiment said...

Interesting.

I graduated with honors and listened to Heavy Metal. So many people would say, "you don't look like you would listen to *that* kind of music."

What the heck is that supposed to mean?? lol