Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Results Hound

My husband warned me that his attention will be completely devoted to the television tonight.

I responded much louder than I intended with an "Ugh! Didn't you hear what I said earlier?"

"About what?"

"The number of absentee ballots in Virginia alone. It was like 141,000 or so. This is going to be a close election. No one will know who really won until a week or more."

His reply bothered me. "It doesn't matter. I'm still going to watch all night."

This time I actually yelled, "It won't do any good! You're just going to get annoyed at the talking political pundit heads. I'll be dealing with an irate husband all evening. And then you'll be frustrated that you won't know who won what."

"It just doesn't matter. I'm watching."

I resorted to guerilla tactics. "It's not going to happen. The Democrats won't change the balance of power. Fear and religion are going to win out. The Bush administration will take the vote to be the sign that there is a mandate to keep doing what they have been doing. The Modernists won't make any headway to changing the world and getting away from this semi-feudalism. The idealogues vote more than the disillusioned."

I could tell I had gotten to him. He shook his head and began making plans to take a sabbatical in Britain or Australia.

No comments: