Saturday, November 04, 2006

Of Toilets and Cell Phones

I thought of my father today and laughed. It was a big laugh that made my children giggle along with me.

While we were visiting my mom and dad in March, there was a toilet incident that didn't involve children, amazingly. It had to do with my father's Blackberry that he used almost constantly to keep track of the construction crews who worked on various jobs. Dad really liked this piece of technology. He no longer had to carry around a paper phone directory of all the crews and suppliers. All of the information he needed was loaded onto his Blackberry.

Dad used the Blackberry everywhere he went. I even have a picture of him talking to one of his crew members from the top of Carter Mountain. With this tool, Dad could handle nearly any problem.

But one morning this past March he was without the Blackberry. It fell out of his back pocket into the toilet. He did all he could to revive it. Nothing worked. He called his office to say he was really taking the day off--no Blackberry meant no communication with the touch of a button. I don't know if he ever told the office why he wasn't available.

What made me laugh this morning was my repeat of my father's toilet trouble. Instead of forgetting about the technology in my back pocket as he did, I was attempting to remove my mobile phone from my back pocket so it wouldn't drop into the toilet. My story ends better. My phone still works.

2 comments:

purple_kangaroo said...

I don't know if I'd be able to bring myself to use a phone again after it fell into the toilet, even if it did still work! How did you clean it?

Sarabeth said...

I have a hale and hearty constitution. Plus, very little grosses me out. And, honestly, it isn't like I'm licking the phone.