Saturday, October 14, 2006

Yes? No? This guy? That guy?


In Virginia, the voters have a chance to vote for a few people or against a few people. And, we also have the chance to define marriage as between one man and one woman.

I knew this issue was on the ballot. Last week I got a call from a group asking if I knew about the proposed amendment. That was an easy answer. She asked me how I was going to vote. "I'm voting no." She was pleased.

A few days after that phone call I saw a bumper sticker on a car urging readers to vote "Yes! 4 Marriage". My initial reaction was, Oh, look, a bigot. That was unfair of my mind and quite cruel.

I just don't agree on an amendment limiting the rights of the citizens. Use amendments to limit the rights of the government, not of the citizens.

The "What about you" part of this post is if you are considering issues and candidates in your district or state? Have you thought about it? What are the issues driving your thinking and voting? I'm not interested in specific candidate that will get your vote, just what is motivating your vote. Heck? Are you even registered to vote?

4 comments:

the granola said...

Well, we actually faced the same issue last election.

Within my religion, there are sound theological reasons why we cannot condone homosexual marriage. So this was a bit of a struggle for me.

I considered long and hard on this one. I came to the conclusion that I could not hold people who aren't of my religion to act on morals based on our religious assumptions. So I voted against it.

I'm registered, obviously, but I haven't bothered too much with this election. I've been keeping my head buried in the sand. I guess I better go research things out so I can do my civic duty.

My stance: pay teachers more, regulate insurance companies more, make sure all americans have health insurance, increase medicare/caid reimbersments, stop taking away our civil rights, welfare reform (how does one expect someone to get off welfare when the gvmt support is more than they could make earning entry level wages and gets totally yanked as soon as they start working at those wages?) more government support for secondary education, etc.

jarhead john said...

Since I'm currently a resident of CA, I'm just plain screwed (please pardon the crudeness). There aren't any candidates there that are worth a darn, with only a couple exceptions. Since every city council, and the state legislature is overwhelmingly far left, I can keep voting for rational representatives all I want, with no real hope for change. CA is a bastion of far left ideology, and I can't wait to get back to the states to change my residency.

Being a Democrat is one thing, being as far to the left as CA politicians are is an entirely different thing.

You seem to strike a good balance Sarabeth, that's why I usually enjoy your discussions so much. You're right on the money about amendments as well, they certainly should restrict the citizens, merely those that would govern them.

jarhead john said...

oops, should have been a "not" before "restrict," clumsy fingers today...

Trixie said...

We are registered to vote. We haven't been doing much in the way of research however. Having worked for the state as well as local government and as a federal government consultant, I am always leery of unfunded mandates and whatnot. So I like to look at the issues and see which are backed by $ before I make any decisions (most are not).