Monday, September 04, 2006

Thoughtful Tag on Blogs

Genevieve over at Prairie Bluestem tagged me with this questionnaire about blogs. This is a timely tag as I was just considering the content of my non-kid blog last night.

1) Are you happy/satisfied with your blog's content and look?

I like the look of my blog. Beta Blogger allows easy text color change, so I like that and used the feature to change some of the colors.

As for content, I was wondering last night about it. It is more like a personal journal that is all over the place than a theme blog. As I was pondering what my theme would be I discovered that my life doesn't have a theme or a central topic that keeps me ticking and thinking. I think and read about lots of subjects, and I always have. I don't have a one-track mind, nor could I keep on one track if you made me. So, I suppose that the stories of my father, the struggle with my grief, my dog, some stories about what is going on in science and biology, my garden, and some bits on current events is what you are going to get. I'm just not focused. If you want focused, go to my kid blog. It has one focus only--the three little bundles of joy that run around me and scream around me and hug me each day.

2) Does your family know about your blog?

Yes, everyone. For my mother's side of the family, I am the only one that doesn't live within five hours of each other (and most of them live within 30 mintues of each other). My blogs are a way of keeping in touch as we all have busy lives. For my father's side of the family, I've never lived near them, so the kid blog in particular is a way for them to be involved with the kids. I don't know what they think of this blog.

3) Do you feel embarrassed to let your friends know about your blog? Do you consider it a private thing?

It's not a private thing. I have a blog. I like it. It is a way for me to express my thoughts. As a stay at home mom, this is very important for my sanity and personal growth.

4) Did blogging cause positive changes in your thoughts?

Writing about my father has been therapeutic. So, yes.

5) Do you only open the blogs of those who comment on your blog or do you love to go and discover more by yourself?

I don't do a lot of blog browsing at random. The blogs that I read regularly are ones recommended by friends or ones that I found from people who commented on my blog. It's that blog chain thing--read one, click on the blogroll, read a few of those, bookmark or put those on the blog reader, and on and on and on. The medical blogs--wow, what a world.

6) What does a visitor counter mean to you? Do you like having one on your blog?

I like my Site Meter counter. Have you ever gotten a visitor with a masked IP address? That is when I really like the counter. I can let my mind go wild with fantasy on those Unknown country, Unknown oranization visitors. Sounds spooky, doesn't it? (And, I mean like spy spooky not ghost spooky.)

7) Did you try to imagine your fellow bloggers and give them real pictures?

No.

8) Admit. Do you think there is any real benefit in blogging?

Sure. Having a forum for your thoughts is good.

9) Do you think that blogger's society is isolated from the real world or interaction with events?

No, much of what people blog about are real world events or personal accounts with events. Have you read some of the milblogs? The ones by men and women in Iraq and Afghanistan are amazing. Talk about first hand accounts.

10) Does criticism annoy you or do you feel it's a normal thing?

It's normal. What annoys me are personal attacks instead of attacks on the issue being discussed. More people need to take a class on debate. In fact, that should be a requirement in this day and age to get out of high school.

11) Do you fear some political blogs and avoid them?

I don't fear political blogs. I scoff at some. I laugh at some. Even if you don't agree with the political persuasion of the person, political and policy blogs are great places to understand the other side of the issue.

12) Were you shocked by the arrest of some bloggers?

In the US? Some blogger arrested? Surely, some other country might arrest a blogger, but not here unless it was really terrible, threatening content. I do know someone was fired for the content on their blog.

13) What do you think will happen to your blog after you die?

My plan has always been to save my blog periodically so maybe a family member, like my children, can read it to see who their mom was when they were young. We know our parents, but do we really know who they were when we were young?

14) What do you like to hear? What song would you like to link to on your blog?

"Beautiful Day" by U2. However, I have such eclectic tastes in music that I really wouldn't care what music it would be unless it is rap (just don't like it) or some hip hop.

15) Five bloggers to be the next "victims"?

Trixie in Transit--when she gets back from vacation.
Granola--if she's still "talking" to me. We've been having a contentious debate.
Ex Utero--He's busy playing doctor.
Liz S. --with a new job I'm not sure she'll have time.
Molly--like a woman 8 months pregnant doesn't have other things to do.

I'm too lazy and overwhelmed with little kids to make the links.

3 comments:

Genevieve said...

Very interesting, Sarabeth. One thing we all share is an interest in blogging, and it's interesting to read about it from another blogger's perspective.

the granola said...

Hey, Sarabeth. I'm just glad you are speaking to me.

I like this tag, thanks.

wolfbaby said...

Thanks for sharing.. you must be exhausted with the schedual you keep..