Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Snack Food

Inwe and Larien tackle my father in October 2005

In recent years I have learned not to snack indiscriminately. This is especially difficult with little children around as they like to snack. In fact, they need to snack. I attempt to have them snack on foods such as grapes, apples, cheese, nuts. You know, healthy foods. This way if I snack, I'm not getting a handful of cheese crackers. I succeed most days in grabbing just a carrot when the munchies hit me. Snow peas are a great snack food as well.

I have nearly mastered resisting the call of the kid snack food. Of course, I keep cookies out of my house. This is my greatest weakness--cookies. Soft chocolate chip cookies, sugar cookies, peanut butter cookies, and just clear out of the way if there is a bag of ginger snaps in my cupboard. It's just best to keep the cookies, unless they are Oreos, out of my house. (I don't care for Oreos.)

My father was a different beast. He loved to snack on nearly anything, but rarely was it a sweet item. A carrot, a stalk of celery, an apple, potato chips. Lots of items like that. Never cheese. He didn't like cheese. Pretzels were a favorite as well.

What I remember Dad liking the most was peanuts. Roasted, in the shell, honey roasted in a jar, or boiled. Dad didn't buy boiled peanuts from roadside stands. He would buy the green peanuts and boil his own with the perfect amount of salt. Oh, those were good. I had the last bag he made this past March when I was visiting. He had saved it just for me. I didn't want to share any of them with anyone. I did. There was no way I could have eaten all of the peanuts.

What is your favorite snack food?

1 comment:

Trixie said...

Snacks?

Hum..we don't have any kind of chip in the house. We don't have any cookies either. Or candy.

We have popcorn but I never eat it. WaWa loves it but I can pass on it.

We had some peanuts a few months ago but we only get them once or twice a year.

Actually now that I think about it, we don't have snack food. No pudding. No cheese sticks.

I basically eat breakfast, then lunch and then dinner. No snacks.

Now if you were going to offer me something I wouldn't refuse unless it was a chip. I am very picky about chips. Not all chips were created equal.