Monday, September 11, 2006

Grilling Vegetables

When life gets sad . . .

When bad things happen . . .

When challenges arise . . .

Southerners bring food.

This may also be true in other parts of the country, but I know that Southerners load up a needy person or family with food.

In that tradition, I'm going to talk about food. Specifically, I'm going to talk about my handy, dandy George Foreman grill and its usefulness in grilling vegetables. Going vegetarian has allowed me to explore the uses of this grill in depth.

I have now grilled onions, peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, sweet potatoes, new potatoes, asparagus, tomatoes, and mushrooms on the machine. Some have been with sauces. Others, like the onions and peppers, required nothing. The onions were particularly good with no oil at all.

Phill is now quite happy to have a portabello mushroom burger for dinner. I simply sprinkled some Italian seasoning, minced garlic, balsamic vinegar, and a bit of olive oil (extra virgin) on the mushroom caps. Top the burgers with grilled onions and soy provolone cheese and you have a wonderful, filling meal.

I still find it odd that I enjoy cooking with the George Foreman grill.

1 comment:

jarhead john said...

I'm afraid I can't give up my love of my charcoal/wood grill. Granted, the Foreman has it beat on cleanup, but I think mine takes the trophy for flavor.