Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Definition

Hate

  1. to dislike intensely or passionately; feel extreme aversion for or extreme hostility toward; detest: to hate the enemy; to hate bigotry.

  2. to be unwilling; dislike: I hate to do it.

  3. to feel intense dislike, or extreme aversion or hostility.

  4. intense dislike; extreme aversion or hostility.

  5. the object of extreme aversion or hostility.

(From dictionary.com)


Hate is such a strong word. Hate is a hurtful word. We used it as children to express our anger at being told that we couldn't do something. We often directed it at our parents or friends. I know I did. I never really meant it. My parents knew I didn't mean it as I said it in the heat of frustration. I hear my children say it about something, and I tell them not to use the word. Hate is such a strong word. I'm attempting to teach them to only use it in extreme cases.


Many people hate snakes. That is because of the fear of being bitten.


Many people hate Muslims or terrorists. That is a great use of the word as it is borne from the happenings in the world around us. It expresses anger and hostility.


But, do you use the word towards someone you have never met? Towards someone you do not really know? Towards someone who has not harmed you, is not seeking to harm you, and has no reason to harm you? Do you use it against people whose beliefs or politics are not your own? Do you hate Democrats or Republicans? Do you hate Jews or atheists? If you say make these statements about a person, might you not be hating your neighbors? Are you prepared to take action against them for their political ideology that is really not that far from your own?


I now know of a person who hates me. He has never met me. He could not tell you what my beliefs are, the range of my political views, or what I do every day of my life. Yet, this man hates me.

5 comments:

wolfbaby said...

How very odd that people decide they hate someone when they know absolutly nothing about them... It's a shame really when folks jump to conclusions and make decisions without all pertinent information... your right hate is such a strong word... take care.

the granola said...

In regards to your previous post as well, if they are connected: Don't let this guy stop you from blogging. That gives him power over you that he doesn't deserve.

I think that people hate other people when they feel threatened. I don't know the exact situation, but just pity whoever is doing it to you and let it roll off your back. In a little while you'll have put them out of your mind, but they live inside their hate and they'll probably never escape from it.

Doesn't need to be a hell after life to scare people. People make their own hell right here and now.

But I guess the most important thing for me to say is: that totally sucks and I'm sorry you have to deal with it.

Sarabeth said...

Just to be clear, the two posts aren't related. My absence is for an entirely different reason.

Trixie said...

Who is this numbskull? Give me a couple of hours and a wet noodle and he will be singing a different tune, pumpkin!

Maverick said...

Let me at this person - I'll take care of him!! My big sister has kicked in. What a "maroon" this person is. Write him off sweetheart.