Thursday, August 24, 2006

The land is bountiful


Ah, our yard. It produces food for the humans and food for the dog. At least it does for White Dragon.

I was feeding the fish when I heard the rustle of one of our ornamental grasses behind me. I turned to see White Dragon running around the ornamental grass with her mouth low to the ground. Dust and mulch were flying as she cricled the grass, not once, not twice, but three times. In a sudden leap she had it, whatever it was.

White Dragon trotted with a happy bounce to the center of the yard. I at first thought that she had a rat as it was the right size with what appeared to be a long tail. The tail was actually a strand of the grass that she had caught with the small rabbit.

Did you know that rabbits make a squealing sound? They do. I watched in morbid fascination as my gentle-with-the-kids dog casually chewed on the rabbit letting it go a few times only to catch it a few feet away. After awhile she delivered a killing blow. I'm pretty sure she ripped it to shreds and ate it. Does this mean she can skip dinner tonight?

5 comments:

jarhead john said...

Many coyote hunters will actually use both pre-recorded tapes of rabits in distress, or master the art of "calling" coyotes themselves with similar cries.

I hope the snack doesn't cause ill effects for WD.

Sarabeth said...

Well, JJ, if she has ill effects we're covered. After the eating the anti-inflammatory drugs in May we got dog health insurance for her.

jarhead john said...

I never knew there was such a thing! That's actually VERY neat.

Sheila said...

Rabbits SCREAM when they are dying..adult ones...I guess this baby was a bit quieter...

At least we know WD could survive if she somehow escaped you and became lost. Mama Dog would die. Nino would be feasting every night.

golfgail said...

We were gone for 2 weeks and in that time period, a rabbit makd a nest and had 3 babies. The day we got home, Divot sniffed out the nest and took one of the babies. I could not see what Divot had but I heard the squeak and I thought it was one of his toys. The poor baby rabbit did not even have it's eyes open. It was defenseless. Divot tossed it in the air and shook it until the guts fell out.