Friday, August 18, 2006

Holy Wildlife, Batman!

I was casually walking to our fish pond to toss some food in when I saw movement in front of me at the edge of the pond about two feet away.

As I jumped back and shrieked (like a girl, gosh, I hate that!), our resident frog leaped away from the clutches of a snake. The snake, all of 1/2 an inch thick and two feet long, slithered toward me over the slate surrounding the pond, and then changed directions and dropped into the pond spreading the goldfish all willy-nilly.

While this is happening a broad-shouldered hawk flew awfully close to my head into the pine trees near the pond. It was not happy with me at all and eyed me from the branches. It was then that I heard a softer hawk screech. A juvenile, perhaps?

I tossed some food to the fish and walked carefully back to the house. I so wish I hadn't shrieked like a girl. I mean, I am one, but the snake wasn't that big. I just wasn't expecting it. Oh, I shrieked like a girl.

Fact check: the snake was an eastern garter snake. The frog was a leopard frog. The hawk was definitely a broad-shouldered hawk.

6 comments:

Trixie said...

I am laughing my bottom off! How funny. I bet the hawk was upset that you scared off dinner! We have babies in the trees and just after dusk when it's freshly dark - you can hear them calling. Mama Dog hates it. She knows it's bad news and won't go out. She scurries to the closest bush, drops a load and runs like wildfire back to the house. One night she pooped on the driveway and never made it to the bush. Those hawks really freak her out.

Kell said...

I was waiting for you to tell me the hawk nabbed the snake - which would seem the appropriate circle of life...

Yesterday, I stopped to look at a house I'm interested in walking through (more on that some other time) - and this crazy little rooster from across the street picked his way over... As I emerged from the back of the house, he jumped out from behind the car tire... and I squealed...

Lord I hate fowl. Their feet freak me out.

wolfbaby said...

Ok when it comes to snakes i scream first and ask questions later... i have a phobia of snakes.. don't care what kind how big none of that matters... it's a snake i shriek like the girl i am and high tail it to a safe location.. call for what ever man happnes to be present to get ride of the little bugger... which is totally ironic considering i have spent a large portion of my life living in the boon docks LOL.. ...

Genevieve said...

Shrieking is allowed for snakes. ;)

Genevieve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trixie said...

A hawk swooped down from the nearby tree to cash a bird under our deck which has a large open space. They went in one side and out the other without pause. I don't know if the hawk caught the bird but it was WILD to watch. They came very close to the windows.