Friday, February 17, 2006

What a lame excuse!

I was doing a bit of a morning check in for the Olympics and came across this article about the men's free skate yesterday. My first thought was, "Ugh, what a lame excuse." Here is what made me say ugh.

"I missed the bus. They changed the schedule," Weir said. "It was every 10 minutes. Today it was every half-hour. I was late getting here and never caught up. I never felt comfortable in this building. I didn't feel my inner peace, I didn't feel my aura. Inside I was black."
You are an athlete. Deal with the situation however imperfect. Like your teammate, the one who had IVs in him the day before he scored his personal best landing him fourth.
Lysacek, 20, covered his face with his hand at the finish, then fell to one knee with the crowd on its feet. His personal best of 152.58 in the free skate was a terrific way to make up for a poor short program that saw him plummet to 10th.

"It's hard because I dreamed about the Olympics for upwards of a decade," he said, "and that dream didn't include getting sick with a stomach flu, getting stuck with IVs, having my veins collapse and falling in the short program. It became about something different ... courage."

No comments: