Monday, February 13, 2006

VI

“Closing time, dearie!”

Kathryn looked up and shook her head. “Really? Already?”

“Oh yes, and unless you want a very uncomfortable table as a bed, you best get your things together.” Trixie said this with a laugh.

Kathryn packed up her laptop and her notebooks and then heaved the backpack on her shoulders. She heard a soft ripping sound.

“You need a new pack,” Trixie pointed to the new tear. “What are you holding on to that old thing for? It’s got to have sentimental value.”

“What makes you say that?”

“You’ve published two romance”

“Chick lit.” Kathryn raised her eyebrow.

“Two chick lit novels. You write for a newspaper. You are taking a year off of working full time. And you still have a ratty, old back pack? What more do I need to know to say it has sentimental value?” Trixie held open the door to the outside.

Kathryn laughed, “It has tons of sentimental value, but you have a point. I should get a new bag for my stuff. Which way to the train station?”

“I’ll walk you there. It’s just a few minutes out of the way for me.”

“Thanks. Since I didn’t get finished going through the documents can I come back on next Monday?”

“You can come back Thursday if you’d like. I’m away at meetings tomorrow and Wednesday, so those are no good.”

Kathryn shook her head. “I’m working in the bookstore all week, except the weekend. Mondays are my days for research.”

“Alright, then. I’ll give you a ring if anything changes. Clear something up for me?”

“Sure.”

“You know the names of the husbands and the children—just two right? What are you looking for? What do you want to find?”

“Anything more than just the names, the dates, the sketchy stories told to me. I guess I don’t really know what I’m looking for. I just want to find out more.” Kathryn put both her hands up in the air and shook them. “There has to be something really interesting about her that my dad didn’t know. Why would a woman not directly related to my family--my dad, grandfather, I even remember my great grandfather saying something about her—be such a central figure in family stories? There just has to be something more.”

“I have an idea.”

“Yeah?”

“Come here on Sunday. Stay with us overnight, and you can tell me more about this Abigail Bruce. Maybe I will have heard something about her or could point you in the next direction. This is what I do.”

“Really? That would be so cool. Would your husband mind?”

“No. Give me a ring on Saturday with your train time and I’ll pick you up.”

Kathryn gave Trixie a hug. “You’re great. Thanks so much. Better go buy my ticket.”

“See you Sunday, Kathryn. Give Ian a hug for me.” Kathryn gave Trixie a grumpy look for that. “Okay, okay. Just tell him hello when you see him next.”


1 comment:

Liz Self said...

Fun! I'm going to get a little engrossed with this story if you're not careful.