Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Public Service Announcement

My daughters told me to "go away" so I did. The baby is bouncing happily for a few minutes, so I have a bit of time. However, this blog post pretty much wrote itself.

My mom sent me an email regarding chemical film on the dryer filter, and of course I didn't take it at face value. I checked it out to see if indeed it was true that certain dryers could be made inefficient from the film of dryer sheet chemicals. And, yes, it is true

From truthorfiction.com:
There appears to be some truth to this one, although not all dryer sheets are
the same.We did some checking and found several manufacturers of clothes
dryers who discouraged using dryer sheets.The owners manuals for Eurotech brand tumble dryers say "We recommend using a liquid fabric softener in the washer's rinse cycle. We do not recommend using fabric softener sheets in the dryer. Over time, the chemicals on these sheets can build up inside the lint filter and clog the holes that circulate the air."The Asko Corporation, which makes washers and dryers, publishes a "Dryer Use and Car Guide."They have the same recommendation against using fabric softener sheets in dryers because of chemical build-up that can clog the filter. Frigidaire in its FAQ about dryers says that not only should the lint screen be cleaned after every load but occasionally washed in soap and water to remove built-up residue from dryer sheets. Dave Harnish of Dave's Repair Service in New Albany, PA, publishes a newsletter about appliances titled DRSNews.In his 10/18/03 edition, he said "If you use dryer fabric softener sheets, be careful to use only one sheet per load (or two). The chemical used in these sheets can clog lint filters..."He recommends washing them with hot water and soap, scrubbing with a brush. Most of the articles we found said the build-up on the lint filters is because of chemicals used in the dryer sheets.There are some products that claim to reduce static, soften fabric, and do not use chemicals, but we've not seen an independent evaluation of those.

Did I check my own filter? Yes. It wasn't clogged, but I cleaned it with soap and water just in case.

2 comments:

Trixie said...

I don;t use dryer sheets!

Anonymous said...

speaking of dryers, my wife and I just purchased a new Frigidaire washer/dryer combo, and the dryer's sound to indicate the cycle has stopped is near ear-piercing and much to long. Does anyone know how to get rid of that noise? Thanks!