Monday, December 26, 2005

We Leave Behind One Holiday

And we are on to a holiday that nearly everyone celebrates. Let's hear no more about the war on Christmas. But if you want to read an interesting article on that supposed war take a look at a Washington Post story as posted by Manateechik.

I struggled to find an immortal poem for Hanukkah. Alas, I failed. I'm sure Trixie could supply something for me. She has some good jokes regarding that religious celebration on her blog. When I lived in Seattle I would spend at least one night of Hanukkah with some of my Jewish friends eating latkes (really yummy things) and playing that game with the dreidel and gelt.

Since the Christmas revels are complete the poem for today is from the last bit from a Shakespeare play, The Tempest.

Our Revels Now are Ended
by William Shakespeare

Our revels now are ended. These our actors,
As I fortold you, were all spirits, and
Are melted into air, into thin air;
And, lke the baseless fabric of this vision,
The clould-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces,
The solemn temples, the great globe itself,
Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve,
And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,
Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.

No comments: