Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Ring Tones

While we were in North Carolina I got the pleasure of eating dinner with a great friend, VetKelly. She and I have been through a lot together: college, pledging, sorority madness, and graduate school. We've commiserated over men who are jerks, men who are wonderful finds, and one man who was just plain terrible. My now husband even took Kelly as one of his dates to our sorority function. Like my friendship with Trixie, this is one that will last no matter how far apart or how much time exists between us contacting each other.

One of my favorite moments with VetKelly was our senior year in college. Her mom worked with crystallography in microgravity, and her experiments would get launched in the space shuttle. She had invited us down to see a launch at the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral. I was working at a lab across campus until late that Friday, and Kelly was going to load up my car and pick me up at a specified time and place. (This was before the common use of cell phones.) I finished up my experiment, cleaned up, and headed down to the rendevous. No VetKelly. I waited. No VetKelly. I tried to get back into the building to call her. No luck, the building was locked up for the weekend, and I had no key. So, trusting in our friendship, I sat to wait for VetKelly. An hour after the specified time, she drove up. She had locked my keys in the car and couldn't find an extra set. She had to get the campus police to unlock the car, which they didn't want to do because it wasn't her car. We laughed about it and commented on how I wasn't panicked. "I knew you would come," was my reply. We had a great weekend with her mom. Watching that launch, feeling the ground rumble from three miles away, seeing the shuttle pass the stage where the Challenger exploded was amazing.

To come back to the present day and my original story. While we were playing with my children her mobile phone sounded with the chorus from Handel's Messiah. You know, "Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah!" Well, maybe you don't know, but surely you get the idea. Who was calling her? The boyfriend. VetKelly gives each caller their own ring tone so she doesn't have to look at the caller ID. Phill and I laughed about her choice of songs for the boyfriend as did VetKelly. What a great use of a ring tone.

This got me thinking about love and poetry. For you know, poetry is frequently inspired by love found or lost. Only death rivals love as a subject for a poem. So here's a poem for blooming love. It's a warning of sorts by the unknown author.

Love not me for comely grace,
For my pleasing eye or face,
Nor for any outward part:
No, nor for a constant heart!
For these may fall or turn to ill:
So thou and I shall sever.
Keep therefore a true woman's eye,
And love me still, but know not why!
So hast thou the same reason still
To doat upon me ever.

No comments: