Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Poems from a Pilfered Anthology

I have a few literary books in my library. There's Shakespeare, Walt Whitman, Edgar Allen Poe, Edgar Lee Masters (Spoon River Anthology, for those of you not in the know), and Jane Austen. I also have two poetry anthologies; 101 Famous Poems given to me as a graduation gift from my mom, and Immortal Poems of the English Language which was pilfered from my mom's collection when I left for college. I hope she doesn't miss it because I'm not prepared to give it back. I have dog-eared poems that either mean something to me or that I appreciate but don't quite get or agree with. So, I'm going to share these poems with you on occasion. Today is one of those occasions. Why? It's too damn cold here and I'm waiting for the ice/sleet/snow to wreak havoc on my day tomorrow. The poems will be in no particular order.

I will begin with Robert Frost, however pedestrian he may be now.

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

1 comment:

golfgail said...

I really enjoy the poetry. I do not read any on my own so thanks for sharing. It makes me feel peaceful which I'm not at this point in my life.