Friday, December 16, 2005

One More Morose/Macabre Post-Well Odd At Least

In the vein of only believe what you can confirm or know to be true when you read it somewhere else, I did some digging when I read news story about a Hurricane Katrina Bus Tour in New Orleans. And, sadly it is true. Well, only part of me thinks, "Oh, gross, who wants to do that?" The other part of me, the pragmatist, the capitalist, the opportunist, thinks "That's a interesting way to make a buck." And, a bit of your fee goes to one of five charities involved in Katrina disaster relief. The link above will take you to a description. I'm not sure I would like to take this tour, but I don't like bus tours in general. I like to walk.

I'm sure that businesses in New Orleans need ways to make money to ensure their survival in the marketplace. Landlords certainly do. CNN ran a story last night about the increased rents in the city. One woman called it price gouging. I call it the market demand. FEMA workers can afford to pay higher prices, and landlords with properties have to make enough money to get repairs going on their other properties. When the FEMA workers leave and more properties become available, the prices will come down a bit. That's what I think.

In honor of the disaster bus tour, I submit this poem from Walt Whitman.

I Saw in Louisiana a Live-Oak Growing
I saw in Louisiana a live-oak growing,
All alone stood it, and the moss hung down from the
branches;
Without any companion it grew there, uttering joyous leaves of
dark green,
And its look, rude, unbending, lusty, made me think of
myself;
But I wonder'd how it could utter joyous leaves, standing alone
there, without its friend, its lover near-for I knew I could not;
And I broke off a twig with a certain number of leaves upon it,
and twined around it a little moss,
And brought it away-and I have placed it in sight in my
room;
It is not needed to remind me as of my own dear friends,
(For I believe lately I think of little else than of
them:)
Yet it remains to me a curious token-it makes me think of manly
love;
For all that, and though the live-oak glistens there in
Louisiana, solitary, in wide flat space,
Uttering joyous leaves all its life, without a friend, a lover,
near,
I know very well I could not.

2 comments:

Maverick said...

I'm so sick and tired hearing all about New Orleans, New Orleans, New Orleans! Katrina and Rita hit other places just as well; and more detrimental than New Orleans!!! I'm a Mississippian so I'm biased on this score. Not to mention that the Hurricanes hit my clients (towns, cities, counties and other governmental entities) hard and they are struggling to get things done and moving. They are still trying to clean up, thankful for the very little things and want to make their home better. Please keep these people in your thoughts and prayers - they are "doers" and will get things done as best as they can with or without federal help. While they will gladly accept help from the feds, they are just sitting with their hands out saying "you do it." THEY ARE DOING SOMETHING TO HELP THEMSELVES! I'll stop ranting now.

Sarabeth said...

I'll try to find one about Mississip or gambling or the Gulf of Mexico. Or maybe I'll find something about a mansion. Mississippi has a lot of those.

Ranting is okay. I don't mind.