Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Losing My Religion

While browsing the world news I came across this article regarding 'honor' killings in Pakistan. A man killed his 25 year old stepdaughter for alleged adultery and his three young daughters (all under the age of 10) so they would not follow the example of their stepsister. This man is a Muslim. He was unrepentant of his crimes.

So, someone please explain to me why I should have any respect for Islam? Why should I, a woman of a modern nation, able to enjoy many freedoms, respect a religion that across the board, no matter what sect, regards women as second class citizens? And, as long as I'm on my rant, why would any woman accept an organized religion that treats her sex as second class? Shall I point to Catholocism? Judaism? Some denominations of Protestants?

If your chosen religious doctrine does not allow women as clergy or in higher positions in your church, synagogue or mosque why do you follow it? Why do you allow yourself to be looked upon as unfit to lead others on your religious path?

To accompany my rant against organized religions and their treatment of women as second-class members, I give you a humanist poem.

Invictus
by William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
for my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloodied, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.

It matters not how straight the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul.

3 comments:

Mr. Baatard said...

Invictus is my favorite poem!

To play the Devil's advocate, it's not just Islam. There are many religions that subordinate women; several flavors of Christianity and various Jewish sects. Although I can think of no Christian or Jewish examples like the one you provided about the man in the article who practices the so-called "Religion of Peace."

The subordination of women by many mainstream religions is one of the reasons that women are drawn to neo-Paganism. It's non-existent in Wicca, Asatru, etc. The movement is about 80% female. *cough*shamelessplug*cough

The nicest thing I have to say about Islam is that if a muslim is a good person, then they aren't practicing their chosen religion correctly.

Maverick said...

It is very easy to forget that not so very long ago women were treated as second class citizens in the United States. But because of our society of freedom, this changed.

In other nations, where they are taught from a very young age that this is the way it is, it takes very stong women (who must risk their lives everyday) to want to change their society. Change takes time and deaths. But more importantly, people must want change - if they do not, they will not.

The actions of one should not taint your view of all - that is being just as horrible as they.

I know a few Muslims and they are not bent on destroying us; they are lovely people.

Sarabeth said...

Mav, you missed the point of the post. I was not saying that all Muslims are bent on destroying Western society.

I was asking why women allow themselves to be party to any religion that does not allow them to participate in the leadership of their faith.

And calling me as horrible as they by judging a religion on one case is to deny all the actions of Muslims against others. If I'm not mistaken it was Muslims who fired on the USS Cole, Muslims who flew three planes into buildings, Muslims who carried out suicide bombings in Iraq and countless other countries, Muslims who under the Taliban stoned women to death for adultery, and I know of no other religion today that kills innocent female children to protect the honor of the man.