Thursday, November 03, 2005

Email warning: Don't be flippant or joke during regional emergency

Disclaimer: I do not think that Michael Brown, former FEMA director, did an even partially adequate job dealing with the aftermath of hurricane Katrina.

Apparently, it is not a good idea to joke, even lightly, while you are the head of a national agency while the shit is hitting the fan. No dark humor, no expressions of frustration, or even playful banter is allowed. Or, if you do, make the comments not on email so they cannot be printed and distributed on the web.

What am I talking about? Email responses (PDF format) from Michael Brown, aka Brownie, during and after hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast of Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama.

As a physician's wife I hear lots of dark humor and have also heard it during a serious, life-threatening situation. The docs and nurses do their best not to let patients or their families hear this type of humor, but it does exist. It is a way of letting off stress.

Isn't it bad enough that Brownie lost his job and will probably not be able to hold another prestigious position for the rest of his incompetent life? Do we really have to parade his stress-relieving email responses? (oops, that's what I'm helping to do)

2 comments:

Manateechik said...

Hehehe, he's a shmuck.

Trixie said...

You caught that too huh? I was so pissed. Ok the guy is a loser. Got that. But I am very certain that he was joking and God forbid anyone reading my emails after a stressful day at the office. I am sure that some of the things I say would be enough to get me lynched.